Thursday, November 17, 2011

How Jessica (that's me) Got Her Groove Back!




My heart beats, again. 

I wake up with excitement, again.

The journey is feeling better, again.

My destination is not the focus, again.

I've gotten my groove thang back, again!

Yippee!

Job changes, as monumental or as small as they can be, make it or break it-in my world! I went from a "looks good on paper, semi-stable, respectable, variably rewarding" job, to something that some might see as an "in-between" job. The difference for me is- the first job mentioned made me depressed, less focused on the present and worried too much about the future. My current job makes me excited to do my hair and makeup in the morning, clean our apartment, and be lovey to my husband! Which sounds better to you?

I have heard many a story about how this 'triple doctorate professor from blah-de-blah ivy league school quite her job to be a barista because it made her happier', even with such a drastic pay cut. These stories sounded corrupt to me! How on earth, can someone making hundreds of thousands of dollars not be as happy or feel as complete as someone who makes barista wages? They could probably just pay someone to make them happy, right?  ...I get it now. Though, I've never made hundreds of thousands of dollars (sounds pretty cool, still) I do know happy from unhappy. I've been *unhappy long enough in my short 24 years of life, to know that I should change things so that I can be happy again.

NOT WORTH IT! It's not worth living from day to day, stressing, begging, and being unhappy. It's not for me! Not now, at least. Right now, I'm just a few years recovered from my eating disorder, a few years married to my Prince Charming, and a few years happy. I can't quit happy yet. Not now! Actually, not ever! Dollar signs and resume references aren't my goal, because they can't be in order for me to be happy! I enjoy doing the simple things in life.

The simple things in life create the most joy for me! Though a self proclaimed feminist, I derive a serious amount of pleasure from cooking, cleaning, decorating, the idea of having babies with the love of my life, and fashion! :) Without being able to do those things, I loose my sense of self. I loose what most matters to me. Those things make me.

I'm sure I can't be the only one who has made sacrifices either for or against a job in relation to happiness! What's your story? I'd love to feature someone's story and maybe collaborate! Tell me, have you lost your grove? Did you get it back? What did you do?


*Please note, dear family and friends, my childhood was filled with magical, loving, and wonderful times that I hold very near and dear to my heart. I had a joyful childhood. It's just those gosh darned hormone raging teenage years combined with my semi-neuroticness and self inflicted perfectionism that caused (my dear horrified parents to spend thousands of dollars on) therapy sessions. :) All is well in my world now! :)

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...